Trademark registration is the process of legally protecting a brand name, logo, or slogan that identifies and distinguishes a product or service from those of others. A lawyer can help you with the trademark registration process, which involves the following steps:
- Trademark Search: The lawyer will conduct a trademark search to determine if the trademark is already in use or registered by someone else. This is done to avoid potential infringement issues.
- Trademark Application: If the search is successful, the lawyer will file a trademark application with the appropriate government agency, such as the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The application will include a description of the goods or services for which the trademark will be used.
- Examining Attorney Review: After the trademark application is filed, an examining attorney will review the application and determine if the trademark is eligible for registration. The examining attorney may request additional information or require changes to the application.
- Publication: If the trademark application is approved by the examining attorney, the trademark will be published in the USPTO's Official Gazette, which gives others an opportunity to oppose the registration of the trademark.
- Registration: If there is no opposition, or if the opposition is unsuccessful, the trademark will be registered with the government agency and the lawyer will receive a certificate of registration.
Throughout the trademark registration process, a lawyer can provide legal advice and guidance to ensure that the trademark is registered properly and is protected from potential infringement.